Board Room Bar
Pollokshields Burgh Hall, Glasgow
The Pollokshields Burgh Hall was built in 1890 and designed by Glasgow architect and burgh surveyor Henry Edward Clifford. The category A listed building is located in the Maxwell Park within the West Pollokshields Conservation Area. Although originally used as council offices, court room and masonic lodge, the hall is now mainly used for weddings and events and the building is managed by The Pollokshields Burgh Hall Trust.
Dress for the Weather were commissioned to design a bar within the original Board Room that connects the two main event halls. The proposal is for a predominantly timber structure with an open upper section that touches the originally walls and features lightly above the original timber dado panels.
The order and openings created by the new structure are designed to create a bar that encourages guests to order and move away from the bar to keep good circulation through the space.The back shelves frame the existing fireplace and also allow a more refined display for the bar as well as allowing for the display of the rich variety of plant species in the Maxwell Park. An elevation of mirror above the top shelves opens up the room and makes more of a feature of the elegant ceiling joists.
A concrete bar top offers a drinking water tap to the public side of the bar and rises in height to define a serving area. The simple, quality material palette of oak, concrete and powder coated steel is robust and proportioned to sit confidently within the historic hall.